Review - Invisibobble Traceless Hair Ring - Worth The Hype?

Hey Pretty South African Beauty Blog

When I first saw these Invisibobble's, it was not only the first time in my life that I've ever seen anything like them, but their colouring and branding was instantly appealing to me. On those two factors alone, I was intrigued... I mean, just look at these colours 💜

Hey Pretty South African Beauty Blog


Anyway, I was interested. I was captivated by the branding. I was curious as to how they work and whether or not they do in fact work... and as a whole, I wanted to know what made them soooo special that I would ditch my cheap old faithful hair ties for these fancy ones. Retailing for about R50 - R65 for a box of 3 on Takealot.com or R80 for 3 on everythinghair.co.za which, let's face it - is a little bit steep - they would have to the best of the best. So I put them to the test...

Hey Pretty South African Beauty Blog

The Claims:

With a strong traceless hold and a high wearing comfort, the invisibobble® ORIGINAL is the best accessory for the upcoming festival season. Since it doesn’t soak and won’t tangle in wet hair, the invisibobble® ORIGINAL is additionally the perfect companion for a day at the beach.

Now, I didn't wear mine to the beach, because I'm not a big beach person - but for my first tryout of the Invisibobble, I went to the gym.

I feel I should mention that I have very thick hair. Heavy and long. My hairdresser once told me that I have two strands of hair growing from each root. So it's safe to label my hair as very heavy. I wear my hair in a pony or bun a lot so I figured I'd be the right kind of gal to really put these little guys to the test.

I could not get a high pony from these. My hair was just to heavy for that. So even though I attempted to get a high pony, it did sag a little bit. But that coral hair tie did look pretty. 😉 While at the gym, I did some weights, a few floor exercises and then went for a jog on the treadmill. During all that time, my hair held. I'm not saying it looked exactly as it did when I left home, because it didn't. There was a bit more sagging of my pony by the time I was done. But overall, considering the workout... it held as good as any other hair tie would. It worked. I liked what I saw and I was highly impressed with them.

I did a rough bun, a fancier bun and a braid over the next few days. All worked out super well and held my hair in place.

The problems began after a couple of uses. At first the ties remained good. The little twirls tended to pull back into shape overnight. But after using one constantly for a few days, eventually it doesn't go back to it's original state as much. It does begin to stretch out a little. Which is fine I guess... Maybe it's just not for my hair. After a while the only way I could use them successfully, was if I was doing a braid. If I wanted a pony, it had to be a low one. If I wanted a bun, I had to use two invisibobbles. I kind of got the impression that a single Invisibobble tie did have a usage limit. It could only be stretched a certain amount of times before it was stretched to the point where I just could not use it any more. I ended up opting for an old faithful hair tie after a while. It just gave me what I wanted and served it's purpose better.

As for being a "Traceless" hair tie. That statement is completely true. Being someone who ties her hair up a lot, it really did help me avoid needing to flat iron my hair every other day when I want to wear it down. 

Overall, I did like the Invisibobble Traceless Hair Rings. I often still use one here and there. But I would not say my life is easier with or without one. It kind of does not faze me really.

When I first saw these, it was the first time in my life that I've ever seen anything like it. But soon, I couldn't stop seeing similar ties in almost every store that sells hair accessories. And for a more reasonable price. 

Look, it all comes down to personal preference and circumstance. These little gems are great if you want something pretty to tie your hair up with. Or if you are facing a day where you want your hair up for half of it and down for the rest without leaving kinks in the hair. If you have thin-ish hair this would be brilliant for you, since your hair would apply less pressure to the tie and that would result in the original stretch and shape lasting a lot longer than it did for me.

The Invisibobble is priced at a rather high range considering you only get 3. There are of course cheaper versions out there, but I have not given them a try so I really can't offer an alternative. In the end, it will all depend on how much you are willing to spend and your desire to try them out. They are cute, yes. They do work as describe - until a certain point. But I don't really think they are worth the hype. 😒

Hey Pretty South African Beauty Blog